Sunday, March 11, 2007

Jesus Christ? A Cause?

Why is Christianity a cause? Why is it considered to be something to fight for? Is Jesus Christ my savior or my cause? I think that’s the fundamental question here. Did Jesus Christ die a horrible painful death for one such as I so he can be my cause? I think not. That idea simply does not settle with me, because that is not who Jesus is to me.

The one fact that I would like to point out here is that Jesus has already overcome the world. He did that on the cross. There is nothing that us Christians need to worry about because Jesus has already overcome the world. No fear needed. No battling needed. There is no reason to live our lives like our religion is better than all the others, and that our denomination is better than others, and that we have all the answers. Because these are all lies. I may think that my religion is better than all the others, and that’s simply because I haven’t found anything better. There’s no room for arrogance. As far as denominations go, there are good reasons for having them, but there is no room for arrogance in the church. We all need each other whether we like it or not. I know for a fact that not all Christians have their lives together. There’s no pretending or hiding from this fact.

Maybe I am just a party pooper, but I am tired of trying to be sympathetic to this type of warrior Christianity simply because of the implications of it. It means that as Christians we are warriors and that we have to fight for Jesus. However, that war has been overcome and done. So what is there left to prove? Jesus proved himself didn’t he? Another implication of this is that warrior theology implies that what I do for Christ is really important. He may have died on the Christ and rose again, but I am going to stand up and convert all my friends. I am just that important and significant.

Maybe not.

I think that the real truth that is missing from this warrior theology is that Jesus did not ask us to fight for him. He asked us to let him in and to let Him transform us into something more like Him. In the process of this transformation, we are to realize how unwarrior-like we are and to see how weak and small we truly are.

We need to simply be and not worry so much about how much we do. I can do all the good things in the world in His name, and its not going to matter if Jesus is not everything to me. Jesus needs to be my being and to be inside of me. That’s all that matters.

Why are there so many swords? Why do we really think that we can make a difference? There’s a whole evil world out there and we weren’t asked to take it by storm. We were asked to serve others, love others, and to follow our Christ wherever he takes us. To me this is a more daunting prospect than fighting for conversions.

No comments: