Friday, December 07, 2007

To quote myself

I'm in the final week or so of my first semester of seminary. I am currently writing my final paper for my Christian Ethics class and I'm enjoying the topic. We have been asked to evaluate the implications of having an American flag in a church sanctuary. Here's the introduction. I don't know if I will keep it or not, but it's worth posting.

The American flag is the symbol of the United States and its presence in a church sanctuary becomes troublesome. It is the symbol of American freedom. It has been carried into battle, laid over coffins, flown in front of buildings, and entire books have been written about flag etiquette. As citizens we are not allowed to burn the flag or fly it at night without a light shining on it. It is something so valued and cherished, one would think that the American flag was an actual person. We treat the flag as if it has feelings and that it should sit down and have a conversation with us.

This has been an easy paper to write so far, but that's because it's one topic that has been brewing in my brain for a few years. It's nice to get it all on paper. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: