Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Resting in Jesus

Wow. This whole summer has been completely different for me. It's been so awesome and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But the biggest lesson I've learned is resting.

Psalm 91:1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

It's so easy to get caught up with busy schedules and habits. The biggest danger of a Christians are themselves. I don't want to worship my religion, I want to worship my God. I got so caught up with living the right life and obeying all the rules and expectations of me. God is not a God of rules and constraints. He's a God of freedom. All he wants of me is the right to myself. I surrender the right to make my own decisions and I give my life completely over to him. That's how it works. In theory. It's a daily struggle.

But the big thing is this, God doesn't applaud us when we follow all the rules or how much ministry we do. He doesn't say, "Oh, look how busy they are! That's just what they need to do"
Sometimes we need to just be his, and that's all he wants. He doesn't need us to do anything for him, because God doesn't need anything. He is God after all. All we are able to give him is ourselves, because that's all we really have. He doesn't want our time or our stress. He just wants us.

God is so much bigger than our own religion. He doesn't want religion, he wants us.

So yeah, that's a snippet of all that I've been learning and discovering this summer. There's more to come.

No comments: